Bed caps, camper shells, toppers, whatever you know them as, may have been the first truck bed accessory. A truck bed is just an open box, and it’s natural that someone would want to enclose it, for cargo security or to create a temporary shelter. Early caps were boxy structures appropriate for the utilitarian trucks of the time, with corrugated aluminum shells and few frills. Today you have many more choices in styles, features, and materials.
- Bestop® Supertop™ Convertible Top for Truck Bed$639.99 - $819.99
Although a cap over a truck bed still creates a dry place to roll out a sleeping bag on a camping trip, most caps are used for protected and secure storage of cargo, tools and equipment. When you’ve got more gear than you can fit under a tonneau cover, and security is paramount, you need a bed cap. Strong, lightweight aluminum caps are still available, and these are often favored for work use, but today most caps are made of rugged, durable fiberglass.
Instead of something that looks like an afterthought, modern fiberglass truck caps are designed to complement your truck’s styling, and many are available painted to match the exterior finish. These tops integrate so well into the design of the truck that from a distance it can be difficult to distinguish a pickup with a cap from its SUV brethren. Along with traditional features like sliding side windows, there are many features and options available in truck caps that enable you to select and equip the cap exactly according to your needs.
Features vary according to manufacturer and model, but in general most caps are custom designed for the application and available in cab height and higher rise styles when you need more vertical room. 3rd brake lights are integrated into the shell for a seamless appearance, with tinted locking glass doors supported by gas lifts. Many caps are available with dome lights, headliners, and interior storage compartments including shelves, overhead compartments, and cargo nets. Most caps are also strong enough to be equipped with a roof rack and haul recreational equipment like bikes and kayaks.
One option you may not have thought of for your truck bed is a convertible top. When you have more gear, or taller gear, than will fit under a tonneau, but still want complete, unobstructed access to your truck bed, a convertible top is the way to go. In the raised position, the top provides all the space and protection of a hard shell cap, but when full bed access is desired, the top can be folded forward in minutes. Like the convertible tops we offer for Jeeps, the truck bed top features premium fabric, removable, zip-out tinted windows, heat sealed seams, heavy-duty molded tooth zippers, and industrial strength thread.
- (250)Bed BarsAggressive Style And Protection
- (845)Bed CapsProtect Your Truck Bed Rails
- (148)Bed ExtendersSafely Haul Lengthy Cargo
- (484)Bed Mats & LinersPrevent Damage & Skidding Cargo
- (185)Bed OrganizersCreate Places For Your Stuff
- (735)Bed RacksCarry More Cargo Overhead
- (823)Bed RailsBed Rail Protection And Style
- (479)Bed SlidesMakes Loading & Unloading Easy
- (19)Cargo NetsSafe Cargo Transportation
- (1,708)Fuel Transfer TanksTransport Fuel Safely And Easily
- (1,230)Headache RacksShields For Truck Cabs
- (12)Loading RampsLift Heavy Objects With Ease
- (19)Tailgate AssistsLowers Tailgate Smoothly
- (99)Tailgate LocksSafeguard Your Truck Bed
- (7)Tailgate NetsRetain Cargo Without Drag
- (9)Tailgate SealsBlock Dust And The Elements
- (129)Truck Bed StepsFor Easier Access To Your Truck Bed
- (126)TailgatesWhen Stock Won’t Do
- (6,777)Tool BoxesSecure & Organized Tool Storage
- (40)Tailgate Light BarsCustomize Your Exterior Lighting
- (11)Truck Bed LightsAdd Visibility In The Truck Bed
- (187)Truck BedsBuilt tough to haul big loads
- (34)Truck Lift GatesHydraulic & Rail Lift Gates
Guides & Articles
- Bed AccessoriesPickup Truck Cab And Bed Sizes Are Important When Selecting AccessoriesAmericans love to have choices. Buying a dress shirt? Decide solid or stripe, short or long sleeve, cotton or poly blend, button or spread collar, regular fit, slim fit, or big & tall. How about a meal at your favorite steak house? Will it be porterhouse, T-bone, or sirloin? Cooked rare, medium-rare, or medium? With baked, mashed, or French fried potatoes? Thirsty for a fancy cup of coffee? Let's not even get started on options that let you end up with a "grande caramel macchiato with 1% low-fat milk, 2 Splendas, and an extra espresso shot".
Truck Caps, Tents & Camper Shells Reviews
2005 Toyota Tacoma