Installing a tonneau cover, truck cap, or bed topper over the bed of your pickup without sealing the tailgate is like insulating the walls and attic of your home without doing the front door. You wouldn’t think of doing the latter, but the former is all too common. The gaps around the perimeter of your tailgate can allow dust, dirt, rain, and snow to enter the bed, and possibly cause damage to the bed and your cargo.
- Access® Total Bed™ Seal$34.59
- TruXedo® TruxSeal™ Tailgate Seal$23.36 - $337.50
- Access® TrailSeal™ Tailgate Gasket$24.73 - $345.51
- Extang® MaxSeal™ Tailgate Seal$19.99 - $240.00
If you crawled inside a truck bed with a tonneau cover installed, you’d see plenty of light showing between the tailgate and the floor and sides of your truck bed. That light shows how large the gaps are between the tailgate and bed, gaps through which dirt and the elements can intrude. But as if that’s not enough opportunity to cause damage, some trucks come from the factory with holes in the bed and gaps in other areas where moisture and dust can enter.
Many pickup owners think that installing a tonneau cover or bed cap will provide enough protection from the elements for their cargo. But all it takes is a drive through a rain storm or past dirt fields on a windy day to dispel that assumption. When they drop the tailgate upon arriving at their destination they find damp and soggy cargo that wasn’t supposed to get wet, or dust and dirt covered cargo that was supposed to remain clean.
Thankfully, no matter what kind of truck you drive, a protected truck bed and cargo are only a few dollars and a few minutes away. Our tailgate seals and gaskets will effectively fill the gaps between your tailgate and truck bed, and along with your tonneau or cap, create a protected enclosure impervious to the intrusion of dirt and moisture. These seals and gaskets are inexpensive, easy to install, and require no modifications to your truck for attachment. They come in kits with enough sealing material to weatherproof one truck, or in bulk rolls with enough to seal multiple trucks.
Complete instructions are supplied with the product, but in general, the seal installs in a continuous length and trimmed to fit with scissors or utility knife. The seal is affixed with pre-installed adhesive that comes covered with a liner that is removed during installation. The area of the bed where the seal will be mounted must be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water and then prepped with the included alcohol pads. As the seal is applied, the liner is peeled back to expose the adhesive, which makes a secure attachment as the seal is pressed in place.
Along with tailgate seals and gaskets, we also offer a total bed seal kit for 2007-2015 GM Silverado/Sierra pickups. This seal kit includes a tailgate seal, a seal for the junction of the front bed panel and the bed floor and sides, as well as foam blocks for under the bed rails. The kit was designed to solve the bed sealing requirements of these trucks, and with proper application will make the bed weatherproof with a tonneau cover or bed cap. And if you find that moisture is getting past the front of your tonneau cover into the bed, we have a seal for the top of the front bed rail to seal under the cover’s front bar.
Although at first glance it may appear the same, don’t confuse our tailgate seals and gaskets with ordinary bulk weatherstripping. These seals were specially developed by the same manufacturers of many of the tonneau covers we offer, so they know what’s required for a product to seal and remain durable in any kind of weather. The seals and gaskets on our digital shelves have just the right amount of compressibility to form a tight seal, without ever becoming stiff and inflexible, which could allow gaps to develop where moisture and dirt could gain access.
- (177)Bed BarsAggressive Style And Protection
- (740)Bed CapsProtect Your Truck Bed Rails
- (108)Bed ExtendersSafely Haul Lengthy Cargo
- (363)Bed Mats & LinersPrevent Damage & Skidding Cargo
- (140)Bed OrganizersCreate Places For Your Stuff
- (1,149)Bed RacksCarry More Cargo Overhead
- (816)Bed RailsBed Rail Protection And Style
- (652)Bed SlidesMakes Loading & Unloading Easy
- (180)Cargo Nets & Tie-DownsSafe Cargo Transportation
- (2,281)Fuel Transfer TanksTransport Fuel Safely And Easily
- (890)Headache RacksShields For Truck Cabs
- (14)Loading RampsLift Heavy Objects With Ease
- (22)Tailgate AssistsLowers Tailgate Smoothly
- (195)Tailgate LocksSafeguard Your Truck Bed
- (7)Tailgate NetsRetain Cargo Without Drag
- (21)Tailgate SealsBlock Dust And The Elements
- (127)Truck Bed StepsFor Easier Access To Your Truck Bed
- (99)TailgatesWhen Stock Won’t Do
- (37)Truck CapsBed Enclosures For Every Purpose
- (10,275)Tool BoxesSecure & Organized Tool Storage
- (30)Tailgate Light BarsCustomize Your Exterior Lighting
- (16)Truck Bed LightsAdd Visibility In The Truck Bed
- (1)Cargo CranesFor Safe & Easy Load Carrying
- (188)Truck BedsBuilt tough to haul big loads