Take two race cars with the same horsepower. If one car is lighter than the other, assuming everything else like driver talent, suspension tune, etc. is equal, that car will be faster. It’s simple, the less weight an engine has to lug around the faster the car will be. Professional racers routinely try to make their cars as light as the rules will allow, eliminating anything unnecessary, drilling holes, and substituting heavy steel with lightweight panels.
- Carbon Creations® Carbon Fiber Trunk$439.00 - $879.00
- Aero Function® Trunk Lid$162.00 - $719.10
- AIT Racing® Trunk Lid$676.35 - $693.05
- RKSport® Trunk Lid with Spoiler$531.89 - $1,241.00
- VIS Racing® Hatch$602.91 - $1,271.16
- Duraflex® Trunk Lid$143.10 - $503.10
- Seibon® Carbon Trunk Lid$153.00 - $2,210.00
- AIT Racing® Rear Hatch$412.49 - $728.12
- VIS Racing® Trunk Lid$522.72 - $6,196.91
- Anderson Composites® Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid$198.00 - $1,638.00
Two of the easiest panels to replace are the hood and trunk lid or rear hatch. These are bolt-on body parts and fiberglass or carbon fiber panels weigh less than half of the equivalent steel components. In addition to just saving weight, replacing one or both of these panels can also change the weight distribution and/or the height of the center of gravity in the vehicle. Altering these can significantly affect traction, handling, and overall performance.
Lightweight hoods are nothing new, in fact some performance models have even come from the factory with fiberglass hoods. Hoods are usually larger so a greater weight reduction can be realized, and hoods usually have prominent styling features. In addition, lightweight hoods for performance cars often include elements like scoops or vents. In contrast, trunk and hatch lids are smaller, at the rear of the car, and usually plain. But these panels are no less relevant, and they’ve become increasingly important to those drivers seeking the ultimate in performance and styling.
Our trunk lids and hatches are manufactured from fiberglass, fiberglass with carbon fiber overlay, composite, and carbon fiber. They’re designed to be replicas of the original steel component on each specific application, for a bolt-on installation and perfect appearance. All panels can be painted to match your vehicle, but since carbon fiber trunk lids and hatches come with a glossy finish, these high-tech panels are ready to be shown off right out of the box. The characteristic weave of carbon fiber is unmistakable and recognized for being the last word in performance, for a look that says you only roll with the best.
But in addition to trunk lids and hatches that mimic the OEM panels, we also have an extensive selection of lightweight parts that give you more than just a weight reduction. Many of our replacement panels have spoilers integrated into the design, for a boost in aerodynamics as well as style and performance. If you were planning on installing a spoiler anyway, these panels are the way to go. These spoilers seamlessly blend in with the trunk or hatch panel for an authentic custom appearance that at the same time stays true to the vehicle’s inherent good design.
- (4,201)Full KitsTotally Change Your Car's Look
- (5,970)Bumpers & ValancesLow Down Racetrack Looks
- (3,584)Custom HoodsFiberglass, Carbon Fiber, Scoops
- (1,668)Bumper LipsLip Spoilers, Front Splitters
- (226)Rear DiffusersAluminum, Carbon Fiber
- (25)CanardsFinishing Touch to Your Car
- (799)Custom FendersSleek And Stylish
- (1,845)Fender FlaresBushwacker, EGR, Smittybilt
- (4,618)Side SkirtsHug The Pavement
- (213)Roll PansGo Bumperless
- (258)Custom DoorsCarbon Doors, Tube Doors
- (345)Body Side MoldingsFiberglass, Polyurethane
- (36)Custom RoofsAdd Style and Performance
- (134)ScoopsAir Grabbers
- (247)Window LouversKeep Cool, Look Great
- (459)Engine CoversAdd a Clean Look to the Engine
- (57)Corner GuardsUltimate Body Protection
- (35)Eye LidsGive a Distinctive Racy Look
- (5,790)SpoilersFactory, Custom, Lip, Wings
- (503)Vertical DoorsLambo, Gullwing, Suicide
- (98,613)HeadlightsProjector, LED, Factory
- (8,235)Custom WheelsCustom, Alloy, Forged
- (5,303)Caliper CoversCustom Painted, Custom Logos
- (5,061)Light CoversSmoked, Carbon Fiber, Clear
Guides & Articles
- Body KitsLightweight Body Panels | Cut Pounds, Go Faster, Save FuelIf you're an automotive enthusiast who has visited our performance sections, it's likely that you know that reducing overall vehicle weight is an effective way to enhance your vehicle's performance, handling, and fuel economy. Naturally, there are different schools of thought on the subject of vehicle weight reduction.
- Body KitsBody Kit Installation | Weekend DIY, or Professional Shop?At CARiD, we understand how deeply the appeal of side skirts, rear diffusers, aero wings, air dams, custom replacement bumper covers, and other components included in body kits runs in the blood of automotive enthusiasts. We know, because we've added them on our own vehicles to enhance performance and to create uniquely impressive visual signatures.
- Body KitsAre Body Kits for Show or for Go?Full body kits are inspired by the look and functionality of body panel refinements made to racecars after relentless amounts of wind tunnel testing and aerodynamic adjustments on the track. Careful sculpting of body panels with addition of air dams, skirts, rear spoilers, ridges and diffusers serves to control airflow around the car - yielding a lower coefficient of drag along with greater amounts of downforce that keep a car pressed against the ground at higher speeds.
- TrunksRear Ended? Find Your Trunk & Tailgate Sheet Metal HereWhether you've just walked around to see the rear of your car after an accident or you've removed interior trunk pieces and floor liners to get a look at the condition of body panels on an older vehicle, seeing compromised metal for the first time is a gut-wrenching feeling. The good news is that, unless damage to your vehicle means it is totaled, things can be repaired. Rotted panels can be cut out, new ones can be welded in, and pieces that are bent out of line can be replaced. Whether you're doing the work yourself or using a professional body shop, experts in the field all say the most important part of auto body repair is choosing quality replacement sheet metal pieces.
Browse by Vehicle
- Acura Trunk Lids
- Audi Trunk Lids
- BMW Trunk Lids
- Cadillac Trunk Lids
- Chevy Trunk Lids
- Chrysler Trunk Lids
- Dodge Trunk Lids
- Fiat Trunk Lids
- Ford Trunk Lids
- Honda Trunk Lids
- Hyundai Trunk Lids
- Infiniti Trunk Lids
- Jeep Trunk Lids
- Kia Trunk Lids
- Lexus Trunk Lids
- Lotus Trunk Lids
- Mazda Trunk Lids
- Mercedes Trunk Lids
- Mercury Trunk Lids
- Mini Trunk Lids
Trunk Lids Reviews
2014 Chevy Camaro