Independent studies conducted many years ago proved that the addition of a Center High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL) helped reduce rear end collisions by 50%, so the NHTSA mandated that all new cars be so equipped effective with the 1986 model year. While you should keep all your lights in good working order for safety, with such percentages it’s particularly important to make sure your CHMSL, more commonly known as the 3rd brake light, is in good repair.
- Spyder® LED 3rd Brake LightLED 3rd Brake Light by Spyder®, 1-Piece. Add some custom detail to your vehicle and increase your driving safety at the same time with this eye-catching LED 3rd Brake Light. LED lights have a much more distinctive look and...$34.29 - $133.58
- Spec-D® LED 3rd Brake LightLED 3rd Brake Light by Spec-D®. Complement your vehicle's exterior with custom-made 3rd brake light. Featuring the latest LED technology, the accessory ensures long-lasting bright light.$41.62 - $144.85
- Anzo® LED 3rd Brake LightLED 3rd Brake Light by Anzo®. Every Anzo USA product is backed by a One Year Warranty against manufacturer defects. With over three decades of professional manufacturing experience and with ISO 9002 and German T.U.V quality...$71.13 - $271.44
- IPCW® 3rd Brake Light3rd Brake Light by IPCW®. Add a custom look to the rear of your vehicle and provide additional visibility to the drivers cruising behind you. This great 3rd brake light features super bright LEDs that will flood the road with...$18.54 - $309.46
- Recon® LED 3rd Brake LightLED 3rd Brake Light by Recon®. Manufactured to exacting standards, this LED third brake light gives extra visibility to your vehicle, and reduces the chance of rear end collision.$97.60 - $329.95
- IPCW® Mega LED 3rd Brake LightMega LED 3rd Brake Light with Cargo Lights by IPCW®. Much wider if compared to the standard 3rd brake light, this great part spans the whole roof line and thus enhances your safety, providing extremely powerful illumination. Made...$163.31 - $309.46
- CG® LED 3rd Brake LightLED 3rd Brake Light by CG®. Get rid of your old, unattractive, or damaged factory 3rd brake light and bolt on this new, eye-popping part by CG. The light features heavy-duty construction and extremely bright LEDs to be highly...$47.68 - $163.62
- Anzo® LED Wide 3rd Brake LightLED Wide 3rd Brake Light by Anzo USA®. Every Anzo USA product is backed by a One Year Warranty against manufacturer defects. With over three decades of professional manufacturing experience and with ISO 9002 and German T.U.V...$223.69 - $272.41
- Bully® LED 3rd Brake LightLED 3rd Brake Light by Bully®. Bully exclusive LED amazingly bright Red LED 3rd brake light also incorporates either a Smoked Lens or Clear lens to match perfectly with the rest of your trucks unique style. If you want your truck...$69.16 - $77.46
- Eagle® Factory Replacement 3rd Brake LightFactory Replacement 3rd Brake Light by Eagle®. Eagle's replacement 3rd brake light provides you with extra safety and ensures that other drivers will be informed about your braking. It provides durability and excellent performance...$35.79 - $219.65
We offer both custom and replacement 3rd brake lights. One of our replacement lights is identical to the original equipment light that you can purchase from a dealer in every respect except for the price tag. It will fit, function and appear just like the one that was installed by the vehicle manufacturer on the assembly line, it just won’t lighten your wallet as much. Our replacement 3rd brake lights are 100% legal for highway use and meet all DOT standards.
While 3rd brake lights have significantly reduced accidents, they can be improved upon to further increase your safety. Our custom 3rd brake lights have LED bulbs, which have several advantages over incandescent bulbs including faster rise time, which is especially beneficial for a brake light. LED bulbs light up 0.2 seconds faster than incandescent bulbs, which may not sound like much, but when you consider that at 60 mph a car travels 88 ft. in one second, that 0.2 seconds can give a driver behind you almost 20 ft. of additional stopping space. That could be the difference between a collision and stopping in time.
LED bulbs last 50,000 hours or more, so once you install one of our custom 3rd brake lights you’ll probably never have to touch it again because the bulbs will last the life of your car. LEDs are unaffected by vibration, unlike the fragile filaments in incandescent bulbs, so they’re perfect for use over pothole strewn, decaying roads and rough off-road terrain. But beyond the functional benefits, you’ll want one of our custom 3rd brake lights just for the way it looks. Our selection includes a wide variety of styles and finishes, including chrome, black, and smoke.
But don’t think that because you have an older, pre-1986 vehicle that you can’t have the benefits of a 3rd brake light. We offer a universal 3rd brake light with bright LEDs that can be installed on any vehicle. And because it has a right and left circuit that can be operated independently, it can also be used for turn signals. The light is retained in a handsome low-profile polished billet aluminum housing that will look at home on the finest street machines and street rods, and it mounts to a swivel base to accommodate attachment to various surface angles.
- (5,655)Custom Tail LightsSuperior Illumination & Safety
- (7,666)Factory Tail LightsOriginal Equipment Style
- (413)Fiber Optic Tail LightsDazzling Displays
- (3,878)LED Tail LightsDurable, Bright, Vibration Resistant
- (1,745)Euro Tail LightsUnique, Custom Illumination
- (3,342)Black Tail LightsDark Radiance
- (24)Tailgate Light BarsCustomize Your Exterior Lighting
- (56,081)Tail Light BulbsLEDs And More
- (352)Trailer LightsBetter Visibility Equals Safety
- (20,066)Exterior LED LightsKeep Your Ride Conspicuous
- (5,093)Light CoversSmoked, Carbon Fiber, Clear
Guides & Articles
- Automotive LightingAutomotive LED Lighting Explained.There is now LED lighting technology available for every conventional automotive lighting purpose. The incandescent bulbs haven’t really developed that much in the 140 years they have existed, while the development rate of LEDs is very rapid, with LED performance being doubled every 36 months, a development rate that is similar to the fast pace of computer development.
Browse by Vehicle
- Audi 3rd Brake Lights
- BMW 3rd Brake Lights
- Buick 3rd Brake Lights
- Cadillac 3rd Brake Lights
- Chevy 3rd Brake Lights
- Chrysler 3rd Brake Lights
- Dodge 3rd Brake Lights
- Ford 3rd Brake Lights
- GMC 3rd Brake Lights
- Honda 3rd Brake Lights
- Hummer 3rd Brake Lights
- Infiniti 3rd Brake Lights
- Isuzu 3rd Brake Lights
- Jeep 3rd Brake Lights
- Lincoln 3rd Brake Lights
- Mazda 3rd Brake Lights
- Mercedes 3rd Brake Lights
- Mercury 3rd Brake Lights
- Mini 3rd Brake Lights
- Mitsubishi 3rd Brake Lights