- Escort® Passport 8500X50 Windshield Radar Detector with Red Display$339.95 - $449.95
- Escort® Passport 9500ix Windshield Radar Detector with Red Display$449.00 - $449.95
- Escort® RedLine Windshield Radar Detector$449.95 - $549.95
- Escort® Solo S3 Windshield Radar Detector$299.95 - $449.95
A single speeding ticket can drain hundreds of dollars from your wallet, and when your insurance company is notified, your premiums can be jacked up and cost you much more, maybe even more than a thousand dollars a year. A radar detector is comparatively inexpensive, so being prepared and defending yourself makes economic sense. We offer a wide range of radar and laser detectors, so everyone can be protected no matter the size of your budget.
Police radar operates on X-band, K-band, and Ka-band frequencies. Radar detectors can detect these frequencies, even around curves and over hills, and warn you so you can slow down. Unfortunately, X-band is also used by motion sensors, which can set off false alerts. The best detectors have city modes to reduce sensitivity, for fewer false alerts, but at the same time are sensitive enough to detect K-band “instant on” radar when directed at cars up ahead.
Laser uses light pulses to detect speed, which is far more precise than radar, and like instant on only has to be turned on for a short time to get a speed reading. However, laser can be detected when it’s used on vehicles around you. Look for a detector that provides 360 degree detection for the best protection. Another option to combat laser is a laser shifter. We offer complete laser shifters that include everything needed to install in your vehicle. When you’re targeted with a laser gun, the laser shifter sends out a higher intensity light, confusing the laser gun and giving you time to slow down.
Irrespective of features, there are three types of radar detectors. Corded detectors attach to the windshield with suction cup mounts, with a power cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter or 12V accessory socket. Cordless, battery powered units are a good choice if the detector will be used in several vehicles, and these can be mounted to the windshield or to the sun visor with a clip. If you want a clean, integrated look, go for a custom installation. You get a receiver that mounts under the bumper or behind the grille, an interface that mounts under the dash, and a display that attaches to the dash.
If you use a power cord, then consider upgrading to a cord that will give you some easy-to-reach, remote control. A basic smart cord will let you control ON/OFF, city mode, and other settings, while a more sophisticated cord can be used with an app on your iPhone to alert you to radar signals detected by other drivers in the vicinity. If you don’t like the mount that came with your detector, then upgrade with one of our radar detector mounts. And to complete your installation, check out our radar detector accessories for external speakers, traveling cases, and GPS module.
Guides & Articles
- Audio & ElectronicsRadar Detectors: What They Are And How They WorkWhen you're sitting on the shoulder of a highway with flashing lights behind you and a police officer at your window, there isn't much you can say about the fact that you were driving too fast. There's no doubt that said officer already has your excessive speed documented with a radar or laser gun, or they would not have bothered to chase you down in the first place. In this article, we'll examine how radar detectors and laser detectors work so that you can make an informed purchase and protect yourself from costly speeding tickets that raise your insurance rates.
- Popular Radar Detectors Part Numbers
- Escort® 80-000085-14 - Passport 8500X50 Windshield Radar Detector (Red Display)
- Escort® 80-000085-15 - Passport 8500X50 Windshield Radar Detector (Blue Display)
- Escort® 0109500-6 - Passport 9500ix Windshield Radar Detector (Red Display)
- Escort® 0109500-4 - Passport 9500ix Windshield Radar Detector (Blue Display)
- Escort® 0100006-2 - RedLine Windshield Radar Detector
- Escort® 0100011-1 - Passport 8500ci Plus Installed Radar Detector
- Escort® - Front Laser Shifter Pack
- Beltronics® 0150000-E - STi Magnum Radar Detector
- Beltronics® 0150007-3 - Pro 300 Radar Detector
- Beltronics® 0150007-2 - Pro 200 Radar Detector