Tomtom GPS Navigation
TomTom was founded in 1991 with a focus on developing software products for mobile devices. The establishers Peter-Frans Pauwels, Pieter Geelen, Harold Goddijn, and Corinne Vigreux are all currently working within TomTom. The founders had the drive and vision to help grow TomTom from a small start-up to the multinational, blue chip listed company it is now.
- TomTom® - VIA Series 4.3" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS NavigatorStarting at: $119.95$119.95
- TomTom® - VIA 1605 6.0" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS NavigatorStarting at: $169.95$169.95
- TomTom® - Start Series 4.3" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS NavigatorStarting at: $96.99$96.99
- TomTom® - Start Series 5.0" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS NavigatorStarting at: $99.99$99.99
- TomTom® - GO 1535 TM LIVE 5.0" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator (Refurbished)Starting at: $112.50$112.50
- TomTom® - Hands Free Car KitStarting at: $56.99$56.99
- TomTom® - USB Home ChargerStarting at: $19.99$19.99
- TomTom® - Air Vent MountStarting at: $23.99$23.99
In its first decade, TomTom focused on developing a number of business-to-business applications for mobile devices such as bar-code reading, meter reading and order-entry systems. By 1998, the brand had established itself as a market leader in PDA software, creating a number of consumer applications for PDAs, such as the EnRoute (later renamed RoutePlanner) and Citymaps navigation applications.
In 2001, as more accurate GPS satellite readings became available, the company recognised that in-car navigation presented a major opportunity for innovation. The brand's first navigation product for PDAs, the TomTom Navigator, was launched in 2002. This product was sold as an add-on application for third-party PDAs and included a GPS receiver and car-cradle. TomTom promoted and distributed this product across Europe, which allowed consumers to buy a fully functioning navigation system at a much lower price than previously available factory-installed and dealer-fitted systems.
By now TomTom saw a gap in the market for an affordable, easy-to-use car navigation system that integrated all the components of a navigation system in one portable device. In 2003, the company made a strategic decision to adapt its core software architecture to operate both on the new hardware products and also across a wide variety of third-party hardware platforms and operating systems. TomTom recruited an experienced hardware team to develop an all-in-one navigation product as the potential for portable navigation devices was clear to the company.
The brand's first stand-alone portable navigation device (PND), the TomTom GO, was introduced in March 2004 and marked a turning point in TomTom's story. The TomTom GO met a need for a portable fit-for-purpose navigation device that was simple to use, affordable and worked better than any other navigation solution on the market. The TomTom GO effectively defined a new category of consumer electronics, the PND.
This is very handy; clips on, remove in a second, attach in a second. We both have Subaru, and I got the first one. I loved it, ordered another for DH. His was not as handy. It all depends on the arrangement of the ac vents. Mine are higher on the dash-above the radio. View of screen is at steering wheel level. Hubby's ac vents are below his radio level. GPS is too low, and leans forward due to angle. I think a 1/2 inch shim could be fashioned and wedged under the lower edge of the GPS, tilting it up to sight line.
Being already a happy user of the previous generation TomTom GPS navigator, I decided to order this Start 45. I like the mapping and the general accuracy. However, in two occasions it didn't read the number of the street house, thus forcing me to waste time asking. Also, I noticed that finding the POI is a little cumbersome.
Voice aside, the navigation is good. The Start 45 does a fine job of getting you from place you are to place you want to get using the conditions you stipulate: fastest route, shortest route, no highways, even the most economical route. The 4.3-inch screen is acceptable, allows for clear viewing of the map and the voice complements the visuals. I have not yet used it in the car to go to the downtown; I wonder to see if it will suggest me a better route than the navigator I have been using for the last years.
| Posted by Francis | (Olive Branch, MS)
I love this beanbag for my navigator. Windshield attachments can leave unwanted footprint, and also, I believe, can lead to a break-in. I ordered the dash mount, I can put it together with my navigator in my glove compartment, under the dash behind a bag, nobody knows there is a GPS in the car. It's easier to adjust â€“ both vertically and horizontally, and I find it much less obstructing than the windshield mounts.
A must-have device for everyone who gets lost easily, as I am. So, I got a TomTom and now I can find my way in town or out. Great shipping and I would buy another one but don't need it. Get one for a loved who you want to care about.
This has worked out so well. No more need to ask my son to lend me his navigator. I have learned all features of the navigator, all them are so helpful. I mark all my POI as Favorites (the restaurant, the store, all the different apartments that we were looking for) when travel between cities.
- Popular TomTom Part Numbers
- TomTom® 1EN6.019.00 - VIA 1605 TM 6.0" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps Update , BlueTooth Hands-Free
- TomTom® 1EN6.019.01R - VIA 1605 M 6.0" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps Update , BlueTooth Hands-Free (Refurbished)
- TomTom® 1ET0.017.04 - Start 40 M 4.3" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps Update
- TomTom® 1EN6.052.00 - VIA 1605 M 6.0" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps Update , BlueTooth Hands-Free
- TomTom® 1EF0.017.09 - Start 50 5.0" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator With Lifetime Maps Update
- TomTom® 1ER5.019.01R - GO 1535 TM LIVE 5.0" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator (Refurbished)
- TomTom® 1EQ4.019.01R - VIA 1435 M 4.3" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps Update , BlueTooth Hands-Free (Refurbished)
- TomTom® 1EV4.019.03 - VIA 1435 TM 4.3" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic and Maps Update , BlueTooth Hands-Free
- TomTom® 1ET0.052.10 - Start 45 TM 4.3" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic and Maps Update
- TomTom® 1ET0.052.09 - Start 45 M 4.3" Touchscreen Vehicle GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps Update
- TomTom® 9UOB.052.02 - Hands Free Car Kit for iPhone