The GMC Typhoon is sturdy and reliable. It performs well both in the open country and the freeways. Its strong suspension and powerful engine combine to provide tremendous towing capacity. Its cargo space is reasonable but insufficient for recreational activities such as camping or fishing. You would certainly have to hire additional transport to haul your boat or camping gear to your camping site. A better alternative would be to attach a trailer to the vehicle. This would save you money and space while meeting your need for extra capacity. CARiD stocks a wide range of GMC Typhoon trailer hitches. They are supplied by the most reputable brands in the country. Brands such as CURT, Reese, Hidden Hitch and Pro Series are renowned for their unwavering commitment to high quality products. Their products are designed by professionals to guarantee precision and safety. Subsequently, manufacturers use premium materials to make durable and resilient trailer hitches.
Weight distribution trailer hitches are highly recommended because they are equipped with spring bars to transfer load weight to the front axle. Improper weight distribution is the primary cause of many trailer incidents on the road. Always ensure the load weight is balanced properly on the trailer. Weight bearing trailer hitches require an equalizing hitch to distribute weight evenly. GMC Typhoon trailer hitches are completely welded construction designed to fit snugly at the back of your vehicle, and most of them do not require drilling to attach to the vehicle. All you need is a set of the right tools and an instruction manual to provide appropriate guidance. Trailer hitches do not succumb to corrosion. They have a black powdered covering that prevents rusting from taking place. You need not worry about the quality deteriorating over time. The manufacturers provide a limited warranty over the lifetime of the product guaranteeing against defects in the quality and workmanship of the product.
- CARR® HD Universal Hitch StepHD Universal Hitch Step by CARR®. Give your truck a distinctive custom touch and get complete and easy cargo access with this heavy-duty step. Specially designed non-slip tread pattern ensures safe and effective use, while unique...$34.99
- CARR® Mega Hitch StepMega Hitch Step by CARR®. It's not that easy to reach certain areas on trucks or SUVs, but not with this heavy-duty step. It ensures safe and easy access to the vehicle, and is designed to fit all 2'' and 2-1/2'' trailer hitches....$139.84
- CURT® Yellow Powered Converter Wiring KitUniversal Yellow Powered Converter Wiring Kit by CURT®. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches and accessories. Tow in comfort and safety with the proper gear, and make your...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$14.90
- CURT® Pin-Style Weight Distribution Complete Hitch KitPin-Style Weight Distribution Complete Hitch Kit by CURT®. GTW 10000 / 1000lbs. Includes Hitch, Sway Bar, Pre-Torqued Trailer Ball, and Chains. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$282.80
- CURT® Class 3 Adjustable RV Trailer Hitch with 2" Receiver OpeningUniversal Class 3 Adjustable RV Trailer Hitch with 2" Receiver Opening (13701) by CURT®. 2" Drop, Gross Trailer Weight: 5,000 lbs / Tongue Weight(TW): 500 lbs. Weight Distribution(WD): 6,000/600 lbsThese trailer hitches allow the...Replaces factory bumper-mounted ballAllows use of receiver-mounted accessories$153.63
- CURT® Weight Distribution Replacement HeadWeight Distribution Replacement Head by CURT®. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches and accessories. Tow in comfort and safety with the proper gear, and make your life easier...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$55.69
- CURT® Weight Distribution Replacement Spring Bar Kit (600 lbs)Weight Distribution Replacement Spring Bar Kit by CURT®. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches and accessories. Tow in comfort and safety with the proper gear, and make your...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$50.74
- CURT® Weight Distribution Replacement Spring Bar Kit (800 lbs)Weight Distribution Replacement Spring Bar Kit by CURT®. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches and accessories. Tow in comfort and safety with the proper gear, and make your...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$50.74
- CURT® Weight Distribution Replacement Spring Bar Kit (1000 lbs)Weight Distribution Replacement Spring Bar Kit by CURT®. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches and accessories. Tow in comfort and safety with the proper gear, and make your...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$50.74
- CURT® Weight Distribution Replacement Spring Bar Kit (1500 lbs)Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$50.74
- CURT® Weight Distribution Replacement Spring Bar KitWeight Distribution Replacement Spring Bar Kit by CURT®. Includes Pre-Assembled Chain. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches and accessories. Tow in comfort and safety with the...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$50.74
- CURT® Weight Distribution Shank for 2-1/2" Receiver (4-3/4" Rise, 7-3/4" Drop, 7-1/2" Height)Weight Distribution Shank for 2-1/2" Receiver by CURT®. Fits Most Weight Distribution Hitches. 4-3/4" Rise, 7-3/4" Drop, 7-1/2" Height. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$98.32
- CURT® Weight Distribution Shank for 2" ReceiverWeight Distribution Shank for 2" Receiver by CURT®. Compatible With Curt Light-Duty Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitches. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches and...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$39.60
- CURT® Weight Distribution Hardware KitWeight Distribution Hardware Kit by CURT®. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches and accessories. Tow in comfort and safety with the proper gear, and make your life easier...Will perfectly meet your needsOutperforms competitors$17.65
- CURT® Brake Control Test BoxUniversal Brake Control Test Box by CURT®. CARiD has everything you need to set up your car or truck to tow, starting with CURT hitches and accessories. Tow in comfort and safety with the proper gear, and make your life easier...$148.50
Guides & Articles
- Exterior AccessoriesTrailer Breakaway Kits Stop The Trailer If It Breaks LooseSometimes when towing a trailer, it’s hard not to think about all the things that can go wrong – especially worst-case scenarios such as the trailer breaking free from your vehicle and becoming a “runaway” that puts property and life at risk. You start to worry if, when you lowered the trailer hitch down onto the ball, the locking tongue actually secured in place under the ball or did it get pushed up into the ball cavity on the hitch? This mishap can happen to the most of experienced towers because things look normal to the eye, and the coupler will even lock in place as if it’s properly attached. Or, maybe the nut on the tow ball has been slowly backing itself off on a long trip (lock washers have a less-than-infinite life span).
- Exterior AccessoriesTrailer Tool Boxes Provide Extra Lockable Space Where You Need ItWhen you carry a boat, ATV, or other equipment on a trailer regularly, you’re going to need to bring a lot of gear and equipment along for the variety of tasks inevitably required during the loading or unloading process. First, there are tie-down straps, hooks, bungee cords, locks, safety chains, gloves, and a flashlight. Then, then there’s assorted hand tools you may need in a pinch like wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, pry bars, and other essentials – because flat tires and burned out bulbs need to be changed immediately. Not to mention other motor oils, lubricants, and fluids no one wants to be caught without. Whether all this stuff is loose or in a portable container, it’s going to take up a lot of space in the cargo area of your vehicle. And if you don’t want to leave it in your car all the time, there’s the hassle of lugging it back and forth to your garage or somewhere else.
- Exterior AccessoriesTrailer Winches Provide the Muscle When Loading Your TrailerWhen looking for a trailer winch, it is very important to remember that they are rated by weight capacity. Unless specified otherwise, the weight rating for a trailer winch is the amount of weight it can pull when loading a boat, ATV, or other vehicle onto a trailer – not what it can lift. Compared to an off-road winch, the load object is free to roll or float, and is therefore considered a rolling load. The trailer winch does not need to work as hard as it would, for example, if it were trying to free a Jeep stuck in the woods.
- Exterior AccessoriesReplace Your Worn or Wrong-Sized Trailer CouplerA coupler is the metal piece that physically connects your trailer to the tow vehicle. Once the coupler is permanently bolted or welded to your trailer's frame rail(s) at the front (this is the "tongue" area), it then fits over the round ball on the trailer hitch attached to your vehicle. Levers of various designs on the coupler clamp around the round ball tightly enough to prevent it from disconnecting, but they also allow just the right amount of play for proper pivoting around turns and over road undulations.
- Exterior AccessoriesSuspension Enhancements Will Raise The Rear Of Your Tow VehicleIf you are using your "daily driver" car or truck for occasional towing duty, you are looking for that ideal sweet spot where the weekday commute is comfortable and quiet, and the weekend trailering feels solid and secure. In other words, you don't want to vehicle to feel too "stiff" during the week, nor do you want it to ride "soft" when pulling a trailer.
- Exterior AccessoriesYour Trailer Will Stop Straight & True With Replacement BrakesIf your trailer has sat for a length of time without being used, things may look alright on the outside to the naked eye. However, odds are your trailer’s brake components and wheel bearings are far more deteriorated than you think, because moisture and corrosion really get a foothold when metal parts sit motionless out in the elements. That goes double if the trailer is backed into salt water during boat loading and unloading. Moving brake parts will rust and seize; wheel bearings will lose their grease and they too will corrode. When these parts are compromised, the risk of accidents increases, or the trailer simply becomes unusable. Worn or rusty brakes can cause the trailer to pull, lose braking power, or completely lose control if a wheel seizes or comes off.
- Exterior AccessoriesHitch Locks Will Secure Your Precious TrailerWe have been extolling the virtues of our lineup of trailer hitches and hitch accessories for quite some time now. If you have reviewed our extensive array in our online trailer and towing store, you've seen the value. Hitches help you bring your boat to the water and back; allow you to tow your family camper; carry all the kids' bikes using a hitch-mount carrier; and even help you perform such mundane tasks as reaching your SUV's roof when you install a hitch step.
- Exterior AccessoriesBrake Controllers Are A Necessity To Slow Down Your TrailerThis is the year you got serious about your trailering set-up. You've treated yourself to a new, top-of-the-line pickup truck with a tow rating high enough to pull your house off its foundation if necessary. You used your annual bonus to get that bigger boat you had promised yourself (with your spouse's blessing, of course). The boat dealer told you that you could use the truck to pull that new trailer "with no problem". What he did not tell you is that you still need to figure out a way to operate the trailer's brakes. That is done with a brake controller. The good news is, we have a great selection of them, and we will even show you how easy they are to install.
- Exterior AccessoriesConnect Your Car Lights To Your Trailer Lights The Easy WayWhen it comes to "electricity", many people are either scared silly of it, or run the other way rather than try to learn about it. Since it is a powerful force, it certainly is something to be respected. For us vehicle owners, perhaps we understand that our cars and trucks have a battery under the hood that needs occasional replacement, and light bulbs that may burn out after several years. Beyond that, many of us are ready to leave any electrical work to the "experts".
- Exterior AccessoriesDo You Dip Your Boat Trailer In The Water? Take a Look HereAt CARiD, we understand that owning a boat is about passion. It involves an appreciation for the vessel itself no matter how large or small, and the satisfaction that comes with being around it. Spending time on the water also signifies relaxation, camaraderie, sport, and a sense of pride that is hard to find elsewhere. We know that your boat is your baby and that you want the best for it - whether it's on sea, land, or in between. In this article, we'll cover many of the accessories we offer to make trailering your boat easy and safe. Because we hand-select only vendors with proven records of craftsmanship, quality, and durability, you'll find only the best products in our Trailer Accessories Section.
- Exterior AccessoriesSecure Your Trailer Load With Quality Tie-Down StrapsThere are many types of tie-down straps for securing a variety of objects - whether they're being hauled on a trailer, in a van, or simply tied to a bike rack. Skipping the step of properly tying down your load is a no-no, plain and simple. Police will cite you for endangering public safety on public roads, and the well-being of your cargo is no longer under your control. Instead, it's at the mercy of the laws of physics and other such things that are unpredictable, potentially leading to loss of your personal property or worse.
- Exterior AccessoriesDinghy Towing Is The Answer When The RV Is At CampVacationing by motorhome continues to grow in popularity. Look at the advantages: no need to rent a hotel room night after night. If you have children, your hotel room savings multiplies. No unpacking and repacking of luggage at each stop. You get to enjoy the great outdoors as you set up camp, cooking and eating al fresco. We've heard of couples, typically retired ones, who will take off and travel for months at a time, seeing the country, while driving their "home away from home" down the highway.
- Exterior AccessoriesHitch Mounted Cargo Carriers Let You Carry More StuffTrailer hitches are not just for pulling trailers. At CARiD, we have seen more than our fair share of customers who have purchased a receiver hitch even though they do not own a trailer and never intend to own a trailer. We have heard from customers who have purchased a used vehicle with a trailer hitch installed, not intending to ever use it. That is, until they discovered that hitches have multiple uses. In this article, we are going to demonstrate how convenient and flexible receiver hitches are when they are utilized as cargo carriers.
- Exterior AccessoriesHitch Steps Give You A Leg Up!Give up? Taken as a whole, these statements bring out the realization that more and more Americans are driving what used to be called "trucks", and, there is a growing need to be able to reach the roofs of these trucks, whether it's to access the cargo box, brush off last night's snow, or just to wash the vehicle.
- Exterior AccessoriesTowing Mirrors Allow You To See Behind Your TrailerIf you have recently purchased a new full-size truck with the intention of pressing it into regular trailering service, you most likely sprung for the vehicle manufacturer's "Towing Package". The truck makers have woken up to the fact that they were losing millions of dollars in business to the aftermarket. One sales channel which has been popular has been towing. Following that age-old adage "if you can't beat them, join them", the vehicle manufacturers want you to buy your trailer hitch and all the accompanying accessories directly from them. This will likely include large "towing" mirrors which extend a few inches further from the truck body, helping you to see what's behind that horse trailer you're pulling.
- Exterior AccessoriesHitch Covers Add Style and Protect Your InvestmentIf you have several hundred dollars invested in a receiver-type trailer hitch, there is one more item we want you to consider adding to the purchase. Yes, you have spent a considerable amount of money already, because in addition to the hitch, you bought a ball mount, trailer ball, hitch pin, and electrical wiring. Presuming that this is your first experience with a rear hitch, we feel obligated to point out to you that the ball mount and ball should not be left in the receiver tube all the time!
- Exterior AccessoriesFront Hitches: Multiple Uses for Your SUV or TruckTrailer hitches, properly called receiver hitches, are all the rage in our truck-obsessed society. When 50% of the new vehicle purchases in the USA today are some kind of pickup truck, SUV, or minivan, the addition of a hitch at the rear of the vehicle makes perfect sense. Depending on the vehicle, a properly installed and rated rear hitch can pull up to 18,000 pounds. There certainly are enough people engaged in their hobbies of horse trailering, boating, or camping, to make use of a truck and hitch. By the way, they are called "receiver hitches" because they accept, or receive, a ball mount and hitch ball which slides into the assembly. That ball mount can conveniently be removed and stowed when not in use.
- Exterior AccessoriesBackup And Dash CamerasAccording to the U.S. National Safety Council, 30% of reported accidents occur when one or more vehicles involved are backing up. This totals to over 300,000 incidents a year and costs approximately $1.3 billion in damages. The news gets worse when personal injury is factored in, and young children fare the worst. On an average week in the U.S., 48 children are injured and 2 die as a result of vehicles backing up. In 82% of those cases, the children involved were under 4 years old, and most of that 82% consists of children under the age of 1.
- Exterior AccessoriesEverything You Want to Know About Trailer HitchesThere are four major types of trailer hitches, regardless of whether they are installed at the factory or added on afterward. A hitch may simply have a bar sticking out past the bumper with a ball mounted to it. Or there may be a square receiver that takes a ball mount that slides into it. In all cases, there are different weight ratings.
- Exterior AccessoriesChoosing Hitch Balls and Ball MountsWhen you’re setting up your trailer with a new tow vehicle, several things need to be considered: the ball mount and ball must be rated to take the weight, and the ball has to be at the right height. Once you have determined the proper weight class, choose a ball mount of a high enough class for your trailer, and set up your ball mount and ball for proper towing. Here's how you do that.
- Exterior AccessoriesTrailer LightingTrailer lights always seem to be out, or intermittent, or making the turn signals blink too fast. It’s a non-stop case of whack-a-mole to keep your trailer lit up properly, here’s some advice on how to reduce your maintenance investment. There are as many as seven electrical circuits in the standard trailer plug, but don't assume that just because your trailer has a plug all is good.